Monday, December 28, 2009

Meet Shannon

Hallo, Leute! Ich bin Shannon Rose Silber, und wie Sie sehen, ich bin Deutscher. Vor ein paar Tagen wurde ich in Polierte Platte Meadows School für Mädchen begrüßt und war unglücklich zu sehen, dass nicht alle an dieser Schule steht tatsächlich neue Puppen ...

Hello, everyone! I am Shannon Rose Silver, and, as you can see, I am German! A few days ago I was welcomed to Frosted Meadows School for Girls and was unhappy to see that not everyone at this school actually likes new dolls. Take this bossy girl, Nellie O'Malley for instance. She practically hated Piper, Felicity, and I (by the way, Piper & Felicity are the other new dolls who arrived here on Christmas, but you probably already knew that) and wanted us to go back to where we came from. No offense to Germany, but, well, I didn't plan on going back there ever again. There are more oppurtunities here for me in America... such as blogging for example! Not one of my girlfriends in Deutschland had a blog, not one!
Anyways, enough about that. My life story is much more important than going on and on about some snotty rich girl who loathes new dolls.

I was born on August 2nd, a cool, summery afternoon. My mother, Lucinda Schneider was a native German, but my father, Andy Silver was originally from Massachusetts here in the U.S.A. Dad was on a national tour with the Boston Symphony when he met my mom at a concert in Berlin. Dad is a professional cellist, and I someday hope to follow in his footsteps (more about that later!). Mom fell in love with the way he enjoyed music and played to the best of his ability. My mother shared the same passion with music as he did, although she was a singer at a local eatery in downtown Berlin and a guitarist in a folk-music band. The two talked over a few cups of coffee and eventually fell in love. They were married a year later, and only a year after that I was born! My father didn't plan on having a child, but he was thrilled nonetheless. The day my mother found out she was with child, Dad promised that he would teach me all he knew about music and the cello. Daddy kept his promise. At age 3, I was playing scales on my cello and playing easy songs like "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb". At age 5, I was at a more intermediate level. By 9, I had played in two different professional symphonies in Berlin. At age 11, Dad decided I needed a challenge since I was one of the best young cellists in the country and Mom heartily agreed, despite her fears of being away from me. They found a perfect orchestra for me in Florida, and they found a boarding school only a half an hour away from it. He called up, there was a spot in the school, and only three months later, here I am, at the school and soon to be playing in the famous Frosted Meadows Orchestra. Although I greatly miss my parents, I am so thrilled to be here!

And that's my life.

As for my interests, you already know that I LOVE playing the cello, but I do like other things. Like chocolate, for example! I am a genuine chocoholic, no lie. White chocolate, dark, milk, you name it, I love it all. I also enjoy ballroom dancing, which I've been taking lessons for for over a year now at a dance academy in Germany. I'm not that good but I don't exactly stink. I have competed in a few beginner competitions, but I haven't gotten first place in any (or second, for that matter...). But my motto is "never give up" so I don't plan on quitting.

Leisure activities are rare in my hectic life but, when (and if!) I have any free time, you can find me snuggled up on a comfy chair reading a book preferably by Charles Dickens, my favorite author. Great Expectations has got to be the best book he has written!

Coming to a new place, let alone a new country, can be tough but, somehow, writing my feelings down in this blog helps take the stress away. Thanks for listening to my little biography; I hope I can post again soon!

*Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Hallo, Shannon. Ich hoffe euch gefällt die neue Schule. Sie klingen wie ein sehr talentierter Musiker. Ich freue mich darauf, Sie kennen zu mehr wissen. Viel Glück an FSMG, ich will talk to you soon.
    Ihr neuer Freund,
    Avery

    Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut: P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also do ballroom dancing! It is so fun. My favorite dance is the Waltz, the Vienese waltz to be more exact. I hope that you have a nice time at Frosted Meadows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salut Shannon,

    I regret to say I don't know any German - only French, English, and a bit of Italian and Spanish. I do have a German penpal, 'tis true, but she speaks French! Anyhow, it's great to get to know you, even if we only have one thing in common: J'aime le chocolat aussi! ;)

    ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete